The Founder and President of the corporation is Peggy Pope, an NRA Certified Firearms Instructor, together with other instructors, staff and volunteers (mostly women) have worked hard to promote and expand training into neighboring communities and cities in adjacent states. The main goal is to help women, seniors, teen girls/kids and the disabled learn to defend themselves but has expanded to include couples and family training; we are basically co-ed however.
Many women attend the training who have been attacked, have a history of abuse/violence or are concerned over becoming a target. Some are intimidated over handling a firearm for the first time but become confident and empowered through the learning process then sharpen their skills by participating in practice shoot meets or our close quarters defense training.
Among our more memorable volunteer accomplishments are:
· Giving self-defense demonstrations for several senior citizen organizations,
· Self-defense training for teenage girls going off to college,
· Taught self-defense to a 4H club (ages 2½ to 18) who have asked us for a refresher,
· Helped a wheelchair bound senior citizen through the concealed carry weapon permit process, fees paid by our wonderful membership. On a budget, the handicapped senior has no vehicle, has severe nephropathy and was being threatened by teenagers as she traveled in her wheelchair, that’s pretty sad.
· Provided self-defense training with emphasis on awareness and personal empowerment for a local Behavioral Health Center of which the young women in attendance were victims of domestic violence and sexual assault. They were amazed and had no idea that they can defend themselves. It was a matter of relaying what we know and showing some basic evasive/defensive moves to open their eyes.
Our goal is to help more underprivileged, soft-targets, and those residing in safe homes, thereby working closely with the counselor. We have fee-based training but help those in need and can’t afford it.
The vision is to some day to have our own facilities with classrooms, offices for staff and a shooting range and perhaps a retail shop where women can find firearms & accessories including concealed holster/purse options and other types of weaponry especially for them.
And to invite abused, traumatized/victimized and financially underprivileged women to our location for training, or we go to them. This can be accomplished with support from our fundraising and appeals for donations support efforts. We also look to train some of the aforementioned as instructors.